Sunday, December 17, 2006

What Happened To Yesterday?

The pork loin I bought while at the butcher the other day was very tasty. We cut half of the meat into pork chops and enjoyed it thoroughly. Then yesterday I took what was left after cutting the loin off and enough some of the other meat for stir-fry, sprinkled it with a generous helping of salt and roasted it in the oven about 350F until it was very crisp. We broke it into pieces and munched on it until my pancreas began to act up…lovely stuff that crisp skin and fat. Haven’t had that since I was a kid and my mom made cracklins.

Found out today that my youngest sis, Marilee, took Fredia to Portland and put her in the hospital there. They found, almost immediately, that she had low potassium and sodium, which was making her throw up, dizzy and fall down. They are running extensive tests to find out what’s going on with her. She is also on my niece’s floor [niece, Dione, is the assistant charge nurse on that floor], which means she will be well looked after.

Let’s talk about what we had for tea last night. Carol bought what she thought was a brisket at the butchers and was going to make Corned Beef and Cabbage. When we got home, I looked at the piece of meat and told her it wasn’t a brisket, more like a rump roast. So we had Beer Braised Rump Roast, fried okra, mashed potatoes and the gravy from the roast. The meat was so very tender and moist, just falling apart. Shane went to the store for cornmeal since they didn’t have any and brought back a box “they” called cornmeal. It was very fine, more like corn flour. Today we will get some proper cornmeal and have some cornbread to go with the leftovers. Shane was very surprised to discover I’d used heavy cream in the potatoes instead of milk. Needless to say, there wasn’t a smidgen of potatoes or okra left. Shane had told me that I’d made too many potatoes and I’d said, “Oh, I don’t think so.” While at the store I’ll have to get the ingredients to make my Carrot Cake and Sugarbrown’s Mama’s Mama’s Banana Cake. Soon I’ll be making the Parmesan Chicken Roulades, the Tomato Concasse and maybe the salad that went with it…the name escapes me. Oh yes, we have to go to the cheese store for more cheese today. It’s all gone! We must have had burglars or something.

I miss all the “stuff” from my kitchen. I was looking at all the empty space in Dale/Shane’s kitchen and thinking about all the “stuff” they had room for.

I think we’ll have Shane drop us downtown Pukekohe or maybe it was Papakura, one day this week so we can browse around through the different stores. Maybe go back to the Pastry shop/Espresso place and get some recipes.

Sure have some strange names down here and they put the emphasis or accent some where other than we would which makes it sound even more strange. We are going into Manukau today to visit a shopping mall where there is a store similar to Target and a seafood store. So, I’ll be back later to tell you all about it.

No comments: