Wednesday, December 13, 2006

A side trip

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v499/bjcotton/New%20Zealand/

Today we went on another sightseeing trip up and down some high hills and along the Auckland coast road. I can again verify that there are some huge private "summer cottages" as I call them. You could put a family of 10 in some of them and they'd have trouble finding one another.

These Norfolk pines are really beautiful and are quite plentiful here. In a couple of days we are again going up into the "mountains" to photograph the small ferns here. They are the size of trees...huge things. I also want to photograph some of the noxious plants along the roads, they are beautiful and closely resemble wild iris', both lilac colored and white. There are many lovely plants and flowers here. Another noxious plant is the Banana Passion Fruit. The fruit is apparently edible, but doesn't compare to the real Passion Fruit.

We ate in a small Greek Sidewalk Restaurant for lunch today. Shane had a Greek Salad, Dale had a pizza, Carol and I had Rice Pilaf with Sauteed Chicken and Mushrooms. Shane says the salad was fresh and exceptionally good. All I could see were a couple of different lettuces, red onion, tomato, cukes, Feta and half a lemon. There was olive oil on the salad. I couldn't tell what was with/on the pizza. The Pilaf sucked, just plain rice, but the sauteed chicken and mushrooms were very tasty. It was topped with Walnut sauce which couldn't hold a candle to Jean's. I had "lemonade" to drink, which turned out to be a clear liquid with somewhat of a lemon taste. Shane said if I wanted lemonade such as we have in the states I would have to order lemon juice.

I fired up both of my coffee makers this morning, one for coffee and the other for my beloved green tea [infusion].

We have another party to attend Saturday. One of Dale and Shane's friends, a bbq. Either lamb or pork I'm given to understand.

I'm off to grocery shop, will talk with you tomorrow.

2 comments:

Maryann said...

Billy, I'm curious about the mealtimes there. Do they have all of their meals later than we do? And what about "tea"? Is that like a late lunch?

Sounds like you are having a wonderful time so far.

Roxanne said...

OOOOO---That bottle brush tree is incredible!!! We have several of that variety in our garden but nothing that comes even close!!! And here I thought we had pretty good specimens growing---I might add, I started from tiny seedlings!! It must be the wind, sand, lack of water--any excuse will do!!

Isn't the experience great, Billy?? Different countries have such diverse ideas on lemonade--makes it interesting---now, banana passionfruit??? gotta research that one---love passionfruit on my Pavlova!! LOL

Missing you!!!