Saturday, December 9, 2006

Just a short one....

I don't know if the short one is Carol, me or Dale :D

Our supper last night consisted of bite size chunks of chicken in a seasoned white sauce with a crispy crust on top like a layer of buttered panko or something. We also had roasted veggies, parsnips, yams/kumara, pumpkin and another type of sweet potatoes/kumara; potatoes duchess, steamed asparagus and rolls. For dessert we had Pavlova...if you've never had that, I would advise you to get the recipe and make it. It's kind of like the consistency of the inside of a marshmallow on its inside with a crispy crust. Glennis and Doug [Dale and Shanes friends of 27 years] kept saying, "Eat up, there's plenty." They had fresh strawberries to serve with the Pavlova, but I'm allergic and Carol won't eat them after years of picking them. So as a consession to us Glennis pealed and sliced some kiwi fruit to go with it for us. The tart sweet/sourness of the kiwi really set off the Pavlova.

Carol casually mentioned the Crema de Balsamico we found at the local liquor story, but didn't go into it. This stuff is THICK and you have to squeeze the bottle to get a drop out. A really good balsamic vinegar has a certain sweetness to it, but nothing like this. I ate it on my french fries [crisps according to Shane] and on my ham steak which he breaded and cooked on a griddle along with roma tomatoes that had one end cut off and then placed on the griddle next to the ham steaks...it was all yummy. It's really too bad all of you weren't here to share it with us, but I'm kinda of glad you weren't or I'd of had to share!

4 comments:

Jan said...

Hey! I wrote a comment and it disappeared. Sure sounds like a wonderful country and a super place to visit. Billy and Carol. Keep up the good work with blogging because we'll be hanging on to every word.

Hug Dale and Shane for me and give the pups a big kiss on the lips from me!

xoxoxo Jan

Roxanne said...

I just knew you wouldn't get away without a Pavlova!!! Especially with the kiwis---I have a wonderful recipe if you need one once you return to the States. I always make this for a New Year's bash we are invited to every year.

Have you run into the phrase "just now" yet?? Drives me mad!!!

Roxanne said...

OHHHH, before I forget---please say hello to my Hobbit friends when you run into them---LOL. Especially Sam, he was my favorite because he cooks.

And a BIG KISS to Aragorn!!!

cj said...

Oh my, sounds absolutely wonderful!! Will now be on a search for that Balsamic!

Keep up the good work on letting us know how things/foods are coming along! I've never made Pavloa - Billy, sounds like we need to do one for one of the dinners??????